Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Trashcan Walk of Shame

A couple of weeks ago I forgot to bring our recycling trashcan back in from the side walk.  It sat out there for three days.  On the third day I finally remembered that it needed to come back to the house.  Aylin, Melis, and I all ran outside together, down our long skinny drive, and to the spot where all the recycling trashcans sit on Wednesday waiting for pick up.  Alas, our trashcan was gone.  I had literally just seen it when we got back from school! 

This morning I took the long walk to the Chateau where we had discovered all the neglected trashcans go.  You know that sound trashcans make when you pull them along, their plastic wheels rolling across the pavement, making that very particular "trashcan" noise?  Well, I got to hear that and make that sound so disturbingly all the way across our neighborhood at 9:30 a.m. this morning.  I felt the shame.  Especially because the way our little domain is set-up is so you have this cute little path running straight down the middle with houses on either side.  I literally felt like I was walking down the hallway of some men's dormitory after spending the night on a careless fling.  Except I was with our recycling trashcan.

Today is Aylin's 9th birthday.  Which is super exciting and was such a joy to celebrate this morning with candles, presents, and humming along to a German and Turkish version of Happy Birthday.  Happy Birthday, Aylin!  You are a joy to be around and play with everyday.  I look forward to being able to get to know you better as we both get older and my German gets better.  Thank you for all your monkey hugs, where your arms and legs wrap around me and I feel like the most loved tree in the Amazon.  Thank you for your patience with me and your constant willingness to help me with my German everyday.  You are a gift!  Happy Birthday mein klein Affe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment